Smart Irrigation Controller Rebate Program
Effective July 1, 2019
City of Modesto water customers may be eligible for a rebate when they upgrade or purchase & install a new smart irrigation controller. The rebate amount may not exceed $50 per City of Modesto water account. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and for any reason.
Replacing an existing timer with a qualifying irrigation controller that meets EPA standards can save an average home nearly 8,800 gallons of water annually. Modern technology has produced controllers that connect to weather stations to prevent watering during rain and can be operated from a smart phone.
How to Apply
- Obtain an application using one of the following methods:
- Apply Online
- Download Smart Irrigation Controller Application (PDF)
- Call Water Division 209-342-2246
- If you are not applying online, send completed paper application and the original sales receipt to one of the following:
City of Modesto Attention:Water Division - Rebate Program
PO Box 642
Modesto CA 95353
- Fax: 209-577-4983
A City of Modesto representative may contact you to schedule an inspection to verify your controller has been installed.
Program Guidelines and Participation Section
- City of Modesto customers who pay a water utility bill to the City of Modesto.
- Customer accounts that are in good standing.
- Tenants who provide written approval from the property owner or property manager.
- Program applies to purchases between 7/1/19 thru 6/30/20.
- It is the customer’s responsibility to install the new controller prior to submitting the application.
- Rebate application must be submitted within 60 days of purchase.
- A City of Modesto representative may contact you to schedule an inspection.
- If not approved at inspection, you have 30 days to make corrections and to schedule a final inspection.
Controllers (qualifying for rebate)
- Controllers must be from the pre-approved list.
- Smart Controllers must be installed within the Modesto City service area and at the address listed on the application.
- Existing Smart Controllers, controller installation costs, new construction, accessories, and taxes do not qualify.
- Rebate checks will be mailed within 8 weeks after completing the rebate process.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the purchase price of the new Smart Controller.
- Rebates are limited to one per utility billing account per fiscal year (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020).
Application and Rebate Approval or Denial
- On-site compliance verification may be required.
- The original itemized dated sales receipt for the new smart controller is required (copies not accepted), Scanned original will be accepted via online submittal only.
- Incomplete, incorrect or unsigned applications cannot be processed. We will contact you with any discrepancies and may require you to submit a new application.
- Customer must fulfill all program guidelines to be eligible for rebates.
- Rebate application must be submitted within 60 days of sales receipt.
- The Rebate Program is not responsible for materials lost by mail.
- Submission or possession of a rebate application does not guarantee receiving a rebate.
- Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Funding for this rebate program is limited to available resources.
- Rebate amounts are subject to change without notification.
- This program shall at all times be subject to change or termination without prior notice.