Meet the City Auditor
Monica Houston has served as the City Auditor since her appointment by the City Council in April 2018. She was formerly a manager for the National Futures Association (NFA) with responsibility for safeguarding the integrity of the derivatives markets, protecting investors and ensuring that Members of the self-regulatory organization for the U.S. derivatives industry met their regulatory responsibilities. Prior to her time with NFA (the CFTC designated registered futures association), she held the position of Chief Audit Officer for the South Carolina Retirement System Investment Commission (RSIC). She developed and oversaw the risk assurance function for RSIC’s administration of over $29 billion in retirement assets from its infancy.
Monica is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Certified Investment Derivatives Auditor (CIDA), and Certified Global Management Accountant (CMGA); having begun her career with Ernst & Young in 1990, her experience in the audit and consulting profession spans over a 25 year period and includes notable companies such as Prudential, United Parcel Service, Home Depot, and Delta Air Lines.
Monica is a graduate of Syracuse University wherein she earned Bachelor of Science in Accounting with a minor in Management Information Systems and of Georgia State University wherein she earned a Masters in Personal Financial Planning. She is a member of the Georgia Association of Public Accountants, South Carolina Association of Public Accountants, and Institute of Internal Auditors.
Monica currently serves on the Supervisory Committee for Delta Community Credit Union, Georgia’s largest credit union with 26 branch offices and over $4 Billion in assets.
Role and Responsibilities
- To provide independent assurance (to stakeholders) on the risk management process:
- that risks are effectively identified and evaluated;
- that risk management processes are both effective and efficient; and
- that key risks are appropriately reviewed and reliably reported to those who need to know
- To facilitate identification and evaluation of relevant risks across the enterprise.
- To coach management in the appropriate responses to risks.
- To report on consolidated risks and management’s responses.
- To champion the establishment of Risk Intelligent practices.