We are glad that you have chosen Modesto for your business and we want to help you be successful. Here are some things to think about to help you get started.
Starting a Business
- Find a Location - Contact one of our Business Analysts to secure the optimal location for your business.
- Verify Zoning for Location - You should check the City’s zoning regulations before you sign a lease or purchase a commercial building to ensure that your type of business is permitted at that location.
- Name Your Business - A fictitious business name (FBN) statement is required if the company name is different than your own. Fictitious business name (FBN) statements are obtained through local County Clerk Recorder offices.
- Get a License - All businesses operating in the City of Modesto must have a valid business license. The City allows for both home-based and commercial businesses, depending on the type of business being proposed.
- Obtain Required Permits - If your business will require making changes to the building you are occupying, you may need a building permit. Contact the Building & Safety Division at 209-577-5232 for more information.
- California Business Portal - Get answers to commonly asked questions with the California Business Portal.